Prof. Werbach identifies 6 steps for implementing gamified systems, and each step starts with a D:
- Define business objectives – what is the system designed to accomplish, what are its goals?
- Delineate target behaviors – what do you want people to do?
- Describe your players – human/player-centric, who is going to be using this system?
- Devise activity loops – how are you going to structure your engagement and progression loops?
- Don’t forget the fun! – how are you going to design opportunities for fun?
- Deploy the appropriate tools – what are the right tools, implements and structures?
More detail to come on each of these!